[OLPC Security] A mom's worries

Karl O. Pinc kop at meme.com
Wed Nov 28 13:50:31 EST 2007

On 11/28/2007 12:13:47 PM, alien wrote:

> The issues of parental supervision that you've brought up are huge. I
> would definitely want to know who my child is talking to, and where
> they
> are surfing!

In the developed world at least, my opinion is that once
children have laptops, any laptops, equipped with wireless
capabilities people who think that these children won't be able to
obtain unfiltered, unfettered Internet access are
deluding themselves.

You can read a discussion of this email thread's topic at:
http://www.olpcnews.com/countries/nigeria/pornographic_image_child.html

Skimming the comments it appears that some folks are of the
opinion that if Internet access cannot be controlled
then children are better off without Internet access
at all.  People who think that should not give
their children laptops with wireless connections.

The child with the XO is surely better protected than
the typical child, given that the camera logs everything,
bitfrost makes it less likely the computer will be
subverted, etc.  And because of it's market and the
concerns surrounding children I believe that the
situation will only improve.  Which leads me to conclude
that if you're going to give a child any wireless laptop
the XO is the best choice.  Every parent will just have
to make their own decision.  Some will choose to restrict
their children to the big computer sitting in the living
room because having the computer in a shared space is
the best way to monitor it's use.  That's pretty much
best practice and could be simulated by only allowing
the child to touch the XO in the parent's presence.

Karl <kop at meme.com>
                  -- Robert A. Heinlein