[OLPC Security] Audio applications

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Nov 21 16:27:48 EST 2007

On Nov 21, 2007, at 22:12 , Ivan Krstić wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2007, at 4:10 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> The answer to this has always been "there are no background
>> activities".
>
> That's the first time I've heard this answer. Can you elaborate?

Well that's the answer the Sugar guys give. As soon as an activity
goes into the background, it has to release all resources such as
camera, mic, speaker, whatever. And it has to be prepared to be
kicked out on short notice by the oom killer. Switching to the
activity again would resume the activity in that case.

So, an activity that is not in the foreground is invisible,
inaudible, must not take CPU time - for practical purposes that means
it is not there. Having it still in RAM is simply caching.

Or I am grossly misunderstanding, but that is what I got from various
discussions.

- Bert -