[OLPC Security] [U] Potential for exploitation

Cary Maj Sean M II MEF (FWD) IT OFFICER sean.cary at mnf-wiraq.usmc.mil
Tue Nov 13 13:39:32 EST 2007

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED

Greetings from Camp Fallujah, Iraq...

I am the Information Technology/Information Assurance Manger for the
Marines in Al Anbar Iraq - I have been working with Mary Lou Jepsen and
Julia Reynolds to obtain two of the OLPC laptops to show and tell to the
Provincial Reconstruction Teams and other folks in our headquarters
here...

We were given this task by General Mattis - the Commander of I MEF (our
California headquarters)...so this has some really high visibility.

Anyway...  I just received two of the laptops and have been playing with
them - getting a basic intro.  I have Information Assurance Marines -
who could/may/will penetration test these in accordance with DoD regs
-but I am not sure that will really tell me much.  I don't think I need
to worry about the same exploits that a "normal" DoD computer has to
deal with.

What issues would you see if the PC's were stolen by folks with bad
intentions - potential for IED activation, inappropriate use that could
be dangerous to Coalition Forces here in Iraq?  I guess you can make
just about anything dangerous - but is there something obvious that I
might not be thinking about?

Thanks!

Sean

Major Sean M. Cary
II MEF IT Officer/IAM (FWD)
Camp Fallujah, Iraq
318-340-4633
sean.cary at mnf-wiraq.usmc.mil
sean.cary at mnf-wiraq.usmc.smil.mil

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED

If this e-mail is marked FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY it may be exempt from
mandatory disclosure under FOIA. DoD 5400.7R, "DoD Freedom of
Information Act Program", DoD Directive 5230.9, "Clearance of DoD
Information for Public Release", and DoD Instruction 5230.29, "Security
and Policy Review of DoD Information for Public Release" apply.