[OLPC Security] find_bundle, etc in util/bundle.py

Marcus Leech mleech at nortel.com
Mon Nov 5 15:47:18 EST 2007

Ivan Krstić wrote:

> No, you understood correctly, though I misunderstood what was being
> asserted. My point was that rainbow should maintain security records
> in a separate database on which it should perform access checks,
> instead of having to read activity.info files each time.
No worries.  I saw some seminal documents that suggested that perhaps
activity.info was where capabilities were going to be
  stored, so I took that as my diving board...

> That said, I don't find sticking the permission declaration into
> activity.info to be a good idea; a separate file in the activity
> bundle called 'permissions.info' or similar, and in the format parsed
> by the git tree to which I linked, is how I'd like to approach the
> problem.

I'm generally in favor of syntax-sharing when it comes to config files
for single application/application-framework/etc.  Quite apart
  from the code-sharing aspects (I admit that your parser is quite tiny
in this regard), it follows more the principle of "least
  astonishment".