[OLPC Security] Periodic identity updates

Matt Anderson matt.anderson at malloc.org
Thu Feb 22 01:16:46 EST 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 10:26:41PM -0500, Ivan Krsti?? wrote:
> Matt Anderson wrote:
> > I must be confused.  I thought this was a community discussion list where
> > OLPC was requesting feedback.  I didn't see your name on
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Our_team but I did notice at the bottom of that
> > page " the most basic being to contribute your ideas and feedback."
>
> Please re-read Simson's message. I've gone out of my way to invite
> feedback; anyone can contribute to the discussion, but attempting to
> push agendas -- in this case, threat models -- that lie beyond the scope
> of the project ("how do you protect laptops the government that bought
> them?") is not helpful and only wastes everyone's time.

I read Simson's message several times before replying.  I just re-read it
again.  In the first paragraph he finally wasted enough of his time to
respond to the 5 mails sent by Karl to explain why he thought the threat
Karl was bringing up was outside the scope of the project.  I didn't have
any problem with that.

What bothered me was the next two paragraphs.  Comments such as those
only serve to discourage involvement.

Maybe I'm just used to higher traffic lists, but 6 emails does not seem
like a huge time sink, nor does it appear to me as pushing an agenda.
Perhaps Karl should have just given up and gone away after sending 4
emails over several days and not hearing back from any of the project
leads.  I would hope that is not how this list is run.  From what you
and Simson have said recently it seems to me that you both don't want
that either.

-matt