[OLPC Security] Developer Key

Simson Garfinkel simsong at acm.org
Wed Feb 21 20:23:02 EST 2007

Several people have voiced confusion over the developer's key.

The purpose of the developer's key is to make it possible for
students to change kernels, disable security features, try new
operating systems, etc., to further the OLPC "constructivist"
learning philosophy.  We don't make it easy, because disabling these
features has risk to the laptop and to the student.  We couldn't come
up with another system that would make it both possible to remove
these protections and yet difficult and time-consuming to do so.

The developer's key is not an end-run around the security system.
It's a way for students to say "I will manage my own security." For
example, although the key makes it possible to turn off P_THEFT, it
doesn't require that the student do so.