[OLPC Security] Anti-theft and Anti-Sale ideas for Nepal

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Feb 19 19:42:13 EST 2007

Simson L. Garfinkel's Treo 700p wrote:
> Why do you think these laptops have a resale value of $80?

Assuming they have been in use for a few months but are still
working properly, I'd probably pay ~200 Euros for one. Other
people in other countries might pay less, so that's what I
based by estimate on. Remember, these laptops are neat,
ruggedized, have a sunlight-capable display (the display
already makes a unique selling point), long battery life,
excellent wireless connectivity, virtually no heat signature
(makes them interesting for military/covert use), no moving
parts, etc...

Maybe I didn't present my argument about the profits of
resale of such a laptop the right way. Assuming labor is
cheap and you can get somewhat skilled people for the
right price, there's always going to be a profit from
selling unlocked laptops.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--