[OLPC Security] Anti-theft and Anti-Sale ideas for Nepal

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Feb 19 14:33:37 EST 2007

Simson L. Garfinkel's Treo 700p wrote:
>> What is the average wage of a person skilled enough to disassemble a laptop
>> in Nepal? Assuming that P_THEFT can be circumvented with an hour of
>> physical
>> access to the laptop, will any sophisticated theft protection work at all?
>
> Why do you assume that?

Because I have *physical* access to the hardware? Remember the people who
hacked the XBox? If the XBox can be hacked, do you really think we have
the resources to prevent people from tampering with the hardware? Especially
when it is as easy as reflashing the EEPROM (not a ROM!) and the SPI flash?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/