[OLPC Security] Anti-theft and Anti-Sale ideas for Nepal

Bipin Gautam bipin.gautam at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 20:03:16 EST 2007

On 2/19/07, Simson Garfinkel <simsong at acm.org> wrote:
> Hi, Bipin.
>
> I do not understand your interest in the P2P idea. When you say P2P,
> what do you actually mean?
>
> The laptops have a mesh network which routes IP protocol. Given
> access to the mesh, any centralized system based on the school
> servers is easy to implement. What do you think is added by having a
> distributed application running on untrusted laptops?

Dear Simson,
As long as the P_THIEF signatures will be cryptographiclly signed (say
an update executable with digital certificate) i dont think the
untrusted laptops (or network) will pose any problem. Intrigity of
signatures can always be verified or else discarded.

I understand your concernes about "any centralized system based on the
school servers is easy to implement." thats why i at second thought
said instead of internet it would be better to inforce the mechanism
through village server (or school server) But we have schools at
remote places with JUST classroom and a common room for teachers etc.
school server mechanism might add extra burden technically and as a
work load. we might want to make the process as automated and as
unattended as possible so that few person can look after larger
population of XO.

I'm sure Bryan has something more to elaborate/coment about ;)
-bipin