[OLPC Security] olpc security - wetware issues

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Feb 9 19:04:16 EST 2007

Hi,

Ivan Krstić wrote:
> alien wrote:
>> Write a piece of malware that grabs system info, and only executes if
>> particular OS characteristics are present. Distribute.
>
> Okay, and what does the malware do? You mentioned malware that collects
> the kids' IM names, which is a non-starter with Bitfrost.

Think outside the box.

If the kids are reachable via IM, you lost. You don't need malware
on the laptop. If your goal is to identify OLPC users in IM, query
their IM client characteristics. The "we want our own software for
everything" approach bites you here in unanticipated ways.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/