[OLPC Security] Re: wetware issues - brainstorming

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 16:01:33 EST 2007

On 2/9/07, alien <alien at mit.edu> wrote:

> "Stephen John Smoogen" writes:
> >I think that having a movie of some sort that could be stored on the
> >main server that goes over in the native language about various things
> >would be quite useful in helping people (adult and child) what tool
> >they now have there. This would be the first or last line of defense.
> >(depending on how one sees the universe).
>
> That's a great idea! I wonder if there's a way to encourage teachers
> to bring parents to watch the film.
>
> Also, since the laptops have to check in to a central system
> periodically (right?), perhaps it might be possible to download
> activity logs to a central server so a teacher can review them, and
> provide a summary for the parent.

Well to be honest.. how is one going to present such information that
is useful for a parent and a teacher who knows nothing about computers
to understand? The usual response would be to 'let' people who know
better to go over the logs. Next thing we end up with setting up the
perfect Big Brother tool for some government to watch over its
citizens to make sure they are doing what they are told. [I don't
think this is too outlandish a statement.. its one of the questions
that organizations always ask about how they can track usage. In some
ways it is needed.. but I want this to be a tool for better democracy
(in some form) not worse.]

The best thing would be to have training videos available to students,
parents, and teachers. The teaching needs to be clear without being
provocative that computers are like books in that they can open new
oppurtunities, but they also can allow for exploitation. Too 'their
out to get your kids' and no-one will want to use them, too 'heads in
the sand' and you end up with the other problem.