[Rwanda-learningteam] Interns' reflections

Melissa Henriquez melissa at laptop.org
Mon May 3 03:35:09 EDT 2010

Dear all,
Here are the interns' reflections concerning April training:

Reflections on Holiday Training
Kagugu, Nonko, and Rwamagana Schools
April 5-16, 2010

“First of all, the training was good because the main purpose of
training was achieved and the proof is how they expressed in front of
students, they really taught well with confidence and commitment also
they were happy and motivated by using technology in
teaching/learning. For instance, how you can search something on
google, wikipedia, to share the projects on the blog and specially to
have an email address. But they still have a little problem; they
can’t try to teach themselves something new for example if you teach
them how to underline the text, they can’t search how to write in
Italic. But it’s normal for someone who use computer for the first
time, the necessary that I appreciate is how they strive to go
forward. Thx!”
-Evode

“So as u know I was at Nonko for the first week and I realized it was
good although we faced the problems with the teachers telling us that
they should be given some money for their transportation. But what’s
good is that the kids were very curious to learn about the laptops. So
we left there after making the kids into different groups according to
their level. After leaving Nonko we went to RWAMAGANA where the
teachers were very curious to learn.
There at Rwamagana the problems happened only at the first day where
we gave them the homework and some of them have refused saying that
they were in the holidays and they had no need to make themselves
tired without taking a rest. So, after that day the others who wanted
came and they were very happy of that action which was taking place at
the school.
For the kids it was very good, besides the problems of the computer
maintenance no other problems we faced with the kids. Another problem
with the teachers was to request for the hardcopies to use when
teaching.
 All in all we faced the problems but it was not as I thought before.
So, I’ve seen that there should be a help from the MINEDUC helping the
OLPC to check if the laptops are used as they supposed to work and to
control them when there is such problem and after to show the teachers
how it is very important to use them because something that they are
told by the authorities is not the same as what we tell them.
THANKS”
-Pie

“In fact   for me when I see this  I see a youth for tomorrow for  Rwanda
For me I was at Nonko, but I saw how student those who were fearing
to use computer
but when we taught them now their mind is open and they are confident
of using computer .
I believe in two years we will be having a good generation by using
computers and  knowing how to make  a research .
This will help our level of Education to step up and be better than
all East Africa not only that even in all Africa.
I` m finishing giving advice for all Rwanda to support this project by
showing them
motivation and care.”
-Jean Bosco

“To me the program was a learning moment. I discovered that letting
people to take part in what is given them yields more than when you do
it alone. What is needed is empowerment of teachers and following up
to monitor progress and help them where need be. When the term began,
some science teachers had started using the laptop to help improve
their research skills. They were told to find the human skeleton and
to present the details of it in class. Kids were able to do it the
following day.”
							-Lote

“About Nonko, I wanted to say that what makes me think that it is
still behind, is that considering their creativity to Kagugu, it is
very different. In the previous sessions, I used to work in Kagugu,
both teachers and students are very curious about anything. Which is
much different from Nonko, they need a guide in most of everything. So
I think that the lack of internet has its effect too. But I think that
in the future they will come on the level as Kagugu, but you need to
convince the headmistress to let kids go home with their XOs.”
-Leandre

“It was a very good moment to me to learn more about the use of xo and
collaborating with kids. This training was fruitful for teachers
because they got the opportunity of teaching kids using xo. The
purpose of developing a project about malaria wasn’t attended in some
classes because they were too beginners. In first days some teachers
were claiming for money. In fact it was good at  Rwamagana where we
had a good  teacher of xo trust in.”
-Janvier

--
Melissa Henriquez