[Rwanda-learningteam] weekly observations

Melissa Henriquez melissa at laptop.org
Wed Mar 10 04:04:49 EST 2010

Dear all,

As we discussed yesterday, we should write a short reflection after each
session with teachers and children. We can write our observations about what
strikes us or about what we find interesting. Hopefully we will discuss all
of our notes by the end of each week.
Here are some of my notes about last week's teacher training at ESCAF:

* *

*It surprised me how limited teachers’ creativity and originality were. *
*I think language has to do with it, but mostly, teachers seemed comfortable
when they asked their partners questions they already knew the answers to.
Even after we had encouraged them to ask different kinds of questions,
especially things they didn't know about their partners.*
**
last week with children at ESCAF:
*           At the end of the session, I asked the students to recall and
tell the class what they had learned this day.*
*           It surprised me how students had a hard time doing this. They
brought new ideas which is good of course, but I have the feeling they
weren't *
*           "getting me".  **Once again I doubt it was mostly due to
language issues,** because I was trying very hard to speak slowly. I just
wonder if *
*           this is because teachers are usually in charge of closing and
summarizing lessons...*

--
Melissa Henriquez
One Laptop Per Child (OLPC)