[Rwanda-learningteam] Goals, Roles, and Responsibilities

David Cavallo cavallo at laptop.org
Tue Mar 2 03:56:51 EST 2010

As Nkubito asked, we need to concretely outline what needs to be done,
who will do it, and what needs to be done.

Since the overall goal is a real transformation of the learning
environment, including both in and out of school, to enable the fullest
possible development of each child and thus to facilitate true, just
social development, our plans must lay the best possible groundwork
towards the accomplishment of the goals.

An immediate need from this exercise is to clarify the roles and
responsibilities of the different groups: Mineduc, OLPC, RITC, WDA, etc.
We also have the advantage of using the team from Uruguay to augment
what we do. We also know we want to run volunteer programs at the
universities to develop more people and add more resources.

 From this we will not only develop a plan for action that clarifies
roles so that we can have accountability and clear lines of authority
(so that we can finally end these ridiculous problems with RITC), but
also we will formalize an MoU between OLPC and the government of Rwanda
and Ministry of Education.

The plan and MoU also will include activities we will do from the Center
for Laptops and Learning.

For example, we know we need to both give all teachers a basic
introduction to the XO and to using it in the classroom to improve
learning. We also need to find ways to introduce the more powerful uses
of the laptops for learning somehow. From the Center we have thought of
building capacity in teaching and learning; of developing new software
and materials; of running seminars, etc.

You don't have to worry about everything and send a complete plan, but
please send me items that believe to be essential  towards the pragmatic
accomplishment of the goals and ideals that attracted all of us to olpc.
Please be as specific and concrete as possible so that we can end the
week with the strongest and clearest possible plan of action.

Thanks,
dc