[Rwanda-learningteam] logistics/1st day outline of malaria camp

Julia Reynolds julia at laptop.org
Sat Apr 3 12:06:50 EDT 2010

Rwamagana: delayed one week

Nonko:
8-12
12 teachers, 100 kids. Kids will be from P5 class, we will divide them
into advanced and those who have not used the laptop. The beginners
will start with a basic record/write exercise: creating their own
(short) autobiographies.
We will talk with the advanced kids about their laptop experience thus
far..why do they think the laptops are there..are they for education,
etc..This will develop into each student creating a short story about
the educational transformation of their class, school, country...

Kagugu:
Teachers (51) separated into beginner and advanced groups. 200
randomly chosen students will arrive for last 3 days of training
(unlike Nonko where kids will be there with teachers).

we have written a similar outline for teachers at both Nonko & Kagugu.
There are manynew teachers this term, and many others are still
curious about why a laptop is important for them. So we will start
very basic: why a laptop? Where does this idea come? Examples of learn
by doing.. This will lead to: how are laptops (and the attached
educational goals) relevant to the development goals of Rwanda? We
will ask each teacher to record some personal goals they have for
their careers andalso the goals they have for the Rwandan education
system in its entirety. (Depending on skills level t they can use
write/record or something more advanced like etoys book).

We will then discuss the goals of the camp, how it will work, pass out
Malaria project outline flyer. thenconclude by asking teachers to
develop their curiosities about malaria, which will lead into research
the following morning.

Please send any feedback, can sendnd something more organized later by
my laptop is broken and I am working with an XO.

Thanks
Julia

--
Julia Reynolds