[Research] new subscriber intro - looking for partner to evaluate our program

jbalcomb at laptopstolesotho.org jbalcomb at laptopstolesotho.org
Wed May 11 23:07:41 EDT 2011

Edward, Thanks for your input.  My replies follow >>
__________________

Edward: "I would also suggest that you use the Free Software/Open Source
approach of publishing all of your materials and letting the community
work with them, try to improve them, test them, and so on. The new, in
testing, not quite yet public Replacing Textbooks server at Sugar Labs is
available for hosting training materials in addition to Free digital
textbook replacements, or Open Education Resources (OER)."

Janissa: We plan to make all our materials public.  Anything we create
here in the U.S. for the school will be posted; however, it is very
difficult for the teachers in Lesotho to post materials they have created
because there is no affordable internet service available in the area.
When we visit the school later this year, we will make copies of anything
they have created and will post it for them.

Will the OER/free digital texbooks be provided in a format that can be
downloaded on a flash drive rather than used interactively online?
__________________

Edward: "Are you familiar with Sarvodaya in Sri Lanka? Your methods are
somewhat similar."

Janissa:  I am not familiar with Sarvodaya, but I will check her/him out.
__________________

Edward: "Did you record any of those meetings? Such recordings would be of
inestimable value to researchers and to other instructional designers."

Janissa:  No, we did not record the meetings other than just taking notes.
 I think having an audio or video recorder present might have inhibited
the process too much.  It was hard enough as it was to get the teachers to
talk, express opinions, and make decisions.  There was A LOT of cajoling
involved.
__________________

Edward: "Is your solar power system design public?"

Janissa:  It was designed by the Bethel Community Development and Business
Center in Lesotho.  I will check with them about making the design public.
__________________

Edward: "I would be very interested to see a comparison of your results
with a one-to-one deployment. There are many other experiment designs of
interest."

Janissa:  We had originally hoped to have a one-to-one ratio, but
financial constraints prevented that.  We thought we would still work
toward that goal eventually, but the community has over-ridden us.  They
would prefer that we expand to other schools rather than try to reach a
one-to-one ratio at the school we are currently working with.  The
situation could definitely make for some interesting comparisons, if the
research is set up properly.

Edward: "I don't have the resources of a researcher, and Sugar Labs is not
a research group. But as a Sugar Labs Project Manager, I would be very
interested in following your research, and suggesting some research
directions."

Janissa:  I would love to get any suggestions you or others have.  I'm
completely new to this role and am feeling my way as I go, so any help is
greatly appreciated.