[Research] OLPCs for education/health research

Jennifer DeBoer jumpbean at alum.mit.edu
Fri Nov 2 14:20:18 EDT 2007

Dear OLPC-Research list,

I am happy to address myself to this list and I hope that many interesting
and useful discussions will ensue!

I am a doctoral student at Vanderbilt University in the International
Education program.  My advisor and I are designing a research project that
would involve a large randomized field trial.  The treatment group would
receive XOs with HIV/AIDS education software, and the control group would
receive the standard machines.  We are talking about the possibility of
executing this research project in Mozambique.

I wanted to begin to tap into the knowledge base of people who are
interested in relevant issues with the XOs and similar technologies/learning
models.

Specifically, I would like to know from the many and varied resources on
this list:

- what kind of other research projects have been planned or are in the
planning process?
- what interesting results have come up from research done through pilot
studies?
- has anyone looked into this issue or research on the educational model
provided by the XO?
- who might be interested in this kind of data?

I would welcome any other comments/suggestions, and I would love to get any
sort of dialogue going here.

Best regards to all,

Jennifer DeBoer

Doctoral Student
International Education Policy and Management
Vanderbilt University

S.B. Mechanical Engineering
S.B. Foreign Languages and Literatures
M.I.T. 2005