[Repairs] Plz Apply: Free XO Laptop Parts Machines!

Holt holt at laptop.org
Thu Mar 26 13:58:32 EDT 2009

Dear Tinkerers, Community Repair Centers & Friends

To reduce OLPC's ongoing storage fees, we are drawing down our inventory
of returned/used hardware -- Help Us Go Green!

    45 DOA XO Laptops (D Stock)
    Seed your own repair center or expand it!
    Many of these can be repaired using: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Fix_Clock

    AT LEAST 85 Mangled XO Laptops (M Stock)
    Several of these machines still work, but have generally have 1 or
more very serious physical defect.

    219 Used US/Canada Chargers (Chargers)
    Most of these work absolutely fine!

I'd like to give these all away, to any deserving groups, Repair
Centers, or motivated individuals doing good work in our community!
I may also sell some of the above items to XOexplosion.com or
iLoveMyXO.com as appropriate, if they are interested in second-hand
merchandise.

ALL proposals will be considered (individuals & groups) if you send me
an email ASAP within the next few days describing:

    * What you want above, exactly how many of each, how you intend to
use them.
    * Shipping is free of charge to most locations worldwide.  You must
include a COMPLETE shipping address AND phone number.  We do not ship to
PO Boxes.
    * We should have plenty to go around, but if a large number of
people apply, I will favor groups that:
        - share larger amounts of hardware, or are working with existing
community groups such as: http://groups.laptop.org
        - take initiative starting an XO Laptop Lending Library, as
outlined here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Contributors_program_criteria
        - have a proven track record of helping others, eg:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Repair_center_locations
    * Indicate your flexibility; EG. if you want 10 units each of XYZ,
but would accept 5 of X and Y.
    * All Hardware & Shipping & Customs Issues ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

ASIDE: if you are looking for brand new XO Laptops, they are available
separately here, also free, if you join our spirit-of-building:

    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Contributors_program
    (generally on a loaner basis so you later share with others in your
community)

Thanks :)
--Holt