[Repairs] price of a brick, cost of all tools needed to open and repair a d6 bricked XO

Daniel Fuhry daniel at fuhry.net
Sun Jul 6 16:02:22 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,
I browsed through your mailing list and thought that you could be
interested in the evaluation of components necessary for unbricking an
D6 bricked XO.
This experiment indicates problems in getting components (parts) for an
acceptable price outside the US.
Good and bad news, you can purchase pre-assembled cables from a US
sourcer but without group-orders or other logistic strategies it is far
too expensive (more than $100) to order from abroad.

I examined what it would cost to buy all the components necessary to
unbrick an XO (using a USB interface).
condition 1. I don't own any tools. (no soldering iron, no crimp tool,
no screw driver)
condition 2. no other equipment except another (working) XO.
exception: I magically own an USB A-B cable (I ordered that one too,
this time from an European Online Store, but it never arrived).
Important: I want to build a professional looking device that fits the
connectors and can be used multiple times. (unbricking other XOs)

What I need:
at least 1 Philips cross-head screw driver
a serial-USB interface that works at 3.3V.
a cable with a connector that fits J1 (connector is made up of housing
(Molex# 51021-0400))

What I bought:
1x Mini Philips Cross Screw Driver (Green 5-Pack) - $1,72 (€1.15)
1x Arduino Serial USB Board $20,95
1x CA-3286-6FT (4-pin Micro Connector, 6FT length) $7,35

Take a look at all components: http://bookbeaming.fuhry.net/parts.jpg

Looks like the most expensive part is the Serial USB Board but lets add
shipping.
Here comes the catch if you life inside the US your order is at least
$60 cheaper than everywhere else. (except maybe Canada)
1x Mini Philips Cross Screw Driver (Green 5-Pack) $1,72
stealth (no extra shipping), (Hongkong Post)
1x Arduino Serial USB Board $25,15 (€16,65)
$2 Handling
$2.20 (2 oz First-Class Intl Parcel Rate), (USPS, Endicia)
1x CA-3286-6FT (4-pin Micro Connector, 6FT length) $59,12 (€38.80)
$51.77 (UPS Worldwide Expedited, Zone 4)

Adding Taxes.
1x Mini Philips Cross Screw Driver (Green 5-Pack) - $1,72 (€1.15)
(tax-exempt)
1x Arduino Serial USB Board $25,15 (€16,65)
(tax-exempt)
1x CA-3286-6FT (4-pin Micro Connector, 6FT length) ~$80 (€50.81)
~$11.83 (€7.51) European Import Tax (the product required no duties but
the value of the transport does)
~$7.1 (€4.5) UPS Modification (fee for tax collection)

That concludes that all components end up in total of ~108$ (68.61€)

~ means value is artificial (calculated) using 1€ = $1.575300
All other conversions were charged by PayPal or VISA.

Now to actually unbrick a XO the parts still need to be put together.
On the left the side of the table are the signs on the USB serial board
and on the right the corresponding colors of the cables.
- Yellow
+ Red
RX Black
TX Green

Disassembly of the XO. (The 4 screws on the bottom - 4 screws on the
screen and 4 screws (under the screen) for the backplate need to be remove.)
Removing the backplate of the XO.
The cable connected to the board.
http://bookbeaming.fuhry.net/board.jpg
Plug it into the USB-Port of another XO.
The microphone LED is lit.

What is left to do and were help is needed.
1. I would like to flash recover an XO using the recovery connector
CN24. Is another XO able to spi recover?
2. I need to figure out the name of the manufacturer that sells the CMOS
CC7L5RT oscillator.

What I need:
CMOS CC7L5RT oscillator 65 Mhz (???), has anybody an idea of the
manufacturer?
a cable with a 5-Pin connector that fits CN24 (made up of housing Molex#
51021-0500)
Picture with the heat shield removed:
http://bookbeaming.fuhry.net/overview.jpg. (CN24 is the connector on the
left side of the clock battery.)

Sources:
DealExtreme, 6060
Spark Fun Electronics, DEV-08165
US Digital, CA-32866-6FT

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Serial_adapters
http://en.forum.laptop.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=430&p=533274#p533274
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Fix_Clock
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/SPI_FLASH_Recovery

best regards,

Daniel

Daniel Fuhry
daniel at fuhry.net (best way to contact me.)
I'm on the forum.laptop.org as danielfuhry.
I'm in the wiki.laptop.org as danielfuhry.
You can visit my website at www.fuhry.net
You can visit my XO-only blog at daniel.fuhry.net/xo