[Power] Fwd: [XSCE] UPS woes

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Tue Mar 29 09:42:45 EDT 2016

Thanks Tim,

While several Ghana schools/libraries/dormitories overspent on UPS
equipment for similar Internet-in-a-Box NUC schools servers last summer
(XSCE) perhaps it was wise after all!

From: Tim Moody <tim at timmoody.com>
Date: Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 9:31 AM
Subject: [XSCE] UPS woes
To: xsce-devel <xsce-devel at googlegroups.com>

Yesterday evening in rural Toronto we had a 4 hour power outage.  I thought
it was a great chance to try out my new UPS.

I bought a 550VA unit to power ADSL modem, router, switch, VoIP switch, and
nuc.  550Ah; should last hours.

Well, 550VA is really 350W, but that is not 350W for an hour, it's just
some quasi-magical load rating.

The real capacity is the internal battery, which seems to be 12V 7Ah, of
course before all the inefficiencies.

So it only lasted an hour.

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !