[Power] Testing A Battery

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sun May 31 10:02:59 EDT 2015

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 3:35 AM, Nicholas <independentcommercial at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 06:17:52PM -0400, Sora Edwards-Thro wrote:
> > I am working with a school in Lascahobas, Haiti where a large solar
> > charging system was installed for the XOs back in 2011
> > (
> https://ict4dviewsfromthefield.wordpress.com/2011/09/17/new-video-worlds-largest-school-solar-laptop-charging-olpc-deployment-lascahobas-haiti/
> )
> >
> > However, the system has not been used for a few years now, partly
> > because it was implemented specifically to charge the laptops and when
> > the support for the laptops ended people failed to see another use for
> > it. (The system is DC, so it didn't come in hand for charging cell
> > phones...)

Clarification: DC systems are perfect for recharging cellphones at the
correct voltage.  The designer of the this particular EFACAP Lascahobas
solar system (Bruce Baikie) indicated that too many cell phones were being
charged on this site, as a result of kids bringing in many different mobile
phones to recharge these for their extended families.  As such he's
explained that EFACAP Lascahobas banned cellphone-recharging around
2012-2013 as a distraction from the educational mission.

> Ideally, we would use the system to power a server (approx 750 watts
> > per day)

I presume you mean 750Wh (Watt-hours) = 62.5AH (if we take 12V literally,
dividing by 12).

> and 45 XO-1 laptops, although if 45 is not feasible we can
> > also manage 15.
> >
> > The original batteries from the system are still there. There are 6
> > 6-volt batteries, wired into a 12V system.They hold 450 AH @ 20Hr, and
> > they are "Rolls Battery Engineering" by Surrette, a Canadian company.
> > The batteries have been there since 2011, so we suspect that they
> > might not be working anymore. However, given that they have not
> > actually been charged and discharged too many times, we're hopeful
> > that we might not have to replace them.

Thanks Nicholas <independentcommercial at gmail.com> for the great tips
looking out for voltages in the range of 12.8 to 13.8 to 14.4V.  Keeping in
mind voltages are highly depending on current sun & charger (charge
controller) conditions -- if Sora can clarify the exact model of the charge
controller and/or include photos that might help?

Also if Sora can clarify what mains/grid-charging (or worst case
generator-charging) is available in the neighborhood, to evaluate several
of these high-end Surrette/Rolls batteries more rigorously somewhere
off-site in the town of Lascahobas itself with a 2nd or 3rd opinion
possibly?

PS I'm not sure if Bruce Baikie is on this mailing list of not, but we
should be sure to include him and ask for his recommendations once the
situation's understood a bit better!?