[Power] 12V wiring for XO-1s, XSCE and networking infra om Haiti

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Jun 30 00:22:45 EDT 2014

What gauge/quality of wire would be smart if we're powering/charging dozens
of XO-1s from a 12 Volt battery bank in Haiti, as well as powering an XSCE
server ("16 Watts peak") and 2 pieces of networking equipment (AP and 3G
router, each appear to be just a few Watts).

All should be in the same room within 2-5 meters of the battery bank of
deep-cycle lead acid batteries we hope?

Or, if we need to scale up the system use the next room later (a real
possibility) what wiring do we need if the devices being charged are 5-10
meters (wire length) away from the battery bank?

We understand we can use all the current wiring if we cram all the devices
within 2 meters of the battery bank, and will strongly consider that if
nec, but that may not be possible (or wise ;)

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !