[Power] Solar panel

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Wed Oct 31 23:04:39 EDT 2012

On 10/30/2012 08:17 PM, forster at ozonline.com.au wrote:
> Richard
>
> Thanks for the solar panel.
>
> The lead is short but you plan to extend it to 1.5m, good. For me the
> optimum would be 2m, then I could sit on a chair in the shade with
> the panel on the ground. It might be interesting to see how kids use
> the panel.
>
> The panel is too tall to fit in most backpacks, I would be happier if
> it was a few cm shorter, even if wider or lower power. It looks like
> the case could be made a little smaller and still protect the panel.

Thanks for the report.  However, things have changed a bit.  The folding
design will not be used as it was difficult to make it water proof
without increasing the cost.  Instead we reverted back to a flat design
like the previous panel.  Although this one is smaller, its probably
still to big to fit in your backpack.

> The switching regulator in laptop SKU99 squeals noticably on the
> panel whereas the one in SKU104 is almost inaudible even though
> running at much the same frequency. SKU99 has travelled extensively
> with me and maybe the inductor windings have rattled loose.

What are the model number of each of those laptops. ie the D number
displayed in the OFW banner?

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child