[Power] Samples of new Solar panel avalable

Richard Smith richard at laptop.org
Wed Jun 27 17:57:12 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Mike Lee <curiouslee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Following up on this: is it a requirement to pair this panel with the
> original panel? Fortunately we do have a few. I think I have two of the
> original panels and one with the embedded voltage regulator.

Only if you want to.  I've done the comparison work already.  The
rated power on this panel is 15W but its a poly-Si panel so the
thermal derate is high.  The net result is that under good sun you
only get 9-10W.  Which is still better than the original a-Si panel
but only by 1 - 2 Watts.

I'll gladly take more comparison test data though.  You can use my
olpc-panelpwr-log script to monitor the amount of power you deliver to
the battery.

--
Richard A. Smith
One Laptop per Child