[Power] Good day for a solar panel test

Nicholas independentcommercial at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 03:49:50 EDT 2012

> We've been using these in the field (adults computing in rural areas
> with no mains power), but they're not water-resistant enough for a solar
> panel that may be rained on, nor durable enough for kids.
>
> http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/powerpole-sets/
>
> Kim

If it's not too much of a hassle do try the Deans connectors. The
generic kind, I've used the plain kind of Deans, not the ones with the
ribbing (although they might work well too). I can't recommend them
highly enough. They aren't hermaphroditic which is where the Anderson
is a smart design. However, if it's with small scale solar (15w
panels) a male connector on a solar panel is not a problem in my
opinion (although others will probably disagree). Deans are not
water-proof but the cable is soldered on and then heatshrunk, a small
sliver of hotmelt glue can be inserted to get good seal as the
heatshrink is shrunk. The join is not water-proof either but if care
is taken when soldering the join, the mating surfaces will be flush
with each other and will have some protection from rain showers.
With the Anderson connectors I have had problems with cable connection
and cable retention as well as good contact between mating connectors
if there was a problem inserting the crimped tongue. Also, if the
crimp goes poorly it ruins a side of a connector. I never had the
right sized connector which was also a problem. The Andersons come in
different sizes as per the page linked to. If you don't have a
consistent sized cable then it makes that part difficult with
Andersons. The Deans have large 5-6mm wide, with about the same length
soldering surfaces, I've soldered quite thick cable 8AWG to skinny
zipcord onto them. The 8AWG is about the absolute maximum you'd want
to go though, far from ideal but works fine.

Hth, Nicholas