[Power] Good day for a solar panel test

Nicholas independentcommercial at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 19:49:23 EDT 2012

Received the new prototype OLPC panel today!

First impressions--nice
Well made, is a bi-fold 36 cell polycrystalline panel with a stiff
nylon? -type backing. It's stiffer and shinier than the cordura I've
seen. Looks quite rugged. It has a built-in OLPC power connector and a
small mesh bag to wrap the cable in to for safe keeping. First thing
to note is the power cable is short but it is not far from an ideal
length IMO. Too long is a pain I've found in the past. However, it is
an unprotected AWG22 cable which I fear will too easily damage;
perhaps not, just an initial observation. Will do a high resolution
photo of the panel surface to see how the lamination survives after
some time in the sun. Will post it somewhere for safe-keeping. I've
found with other panels with black fabric backing bubbles can develop
in the laminate after some time in the sun.

Initial measurements open-circuit 18v, 1.140A Isc (short circuit
current). So, pretty good initial output without a load. It's mid
Winter here and today is sunny with high cloud. It's not particularly
warm.

Will post current output on 10,20,30 and 40 ohm power resistors later
on today if I get a chance.

Many thanks Richard--you rule!

For those on the OLPC NZ list, please let me know if you want to have
a tutu, I will make a list or you can pass it around amongst
yourselves. I would particularly like to see it go to the testing
crowd that meets at that Auckland pub on the weekend. Also CC'd in
this email Stan Swan who did some neat photos for the original solar
olpc page if he wants a tutu too!

All the best, Nicholas