[Power] Impacts of disabling Automatic Power Management

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Tue Jan 31 23:43:58 EST 2012

sridhar wrote:
 > We are considering disabling Automatic Power Management because of its
 > impact on collaboration and 3G connectivity.
 >
 > What kind of battery life can we expect from an XO-1.5 with Automatic
 > Power Management disabled as opposed to enabled? I understand that
 > this can vary wildly with usage, but is there an average estimate?

he's on a very long plane flight, but i'll try and channel richard:

    "it depends."

how did i do?  :-)

you're probably in as good a position to answer this as we are, since
you have a better idea of your system activity load.  with automatic
power management turned off, a 1.5 is good for several hours of use,
where "several" is intentionally vague.  backlight on full?  wireless
on?  continuous cpu activity?  etc.

would it help to disable automatic power management only when specific
Activities are running?  only when certain kinds of collaboration are
in effect?  only when certain drivers are active?

paul