[Power] IRC? Solar issues and help request.

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Sun Mar 7 10:15:06 EST 2010

I'm cc:ing the power at lists.laptop.org discussion list.  Its a newly
created list for discussing issues like this.  Since none of you are
subscribed you will get a hold notice when you respond to this mail.
I'll approve the post and then add you to the accepted whitelist. Please
keep the power list in your cc:.

You can also subscribe to the list if are interested in this sort of thing.

list subscription can be found here:

On 03/07/2010 05:26 AM, Mark Battley wrote:
> If any of you are free to IRC, please come on.
>
> Here are some issues, reports:
>
> *_Big Problem with solar panels (sigh)
> _*Believe it or not, the 3 solar panels that Derek had delivered, only a
> month after the other one, actually have a different connector (yellow
> tip). Apparently, none of us though to do the simple and obvious thing
> and check. The older one plugs in fine, but the three new ones are
> tight; I think I can force them in but I didn’t want to break an iGo
> until we had tested them with our one working panel. If we have success
> with the proper ones, we will try jamming one in and see how that works.
> After all, we would actually prefer the controller to be hardwired, so
> if it “stuck”, that wouldn’t be the worst thing. Still, this is so
> frustrating. Derek, can you get in touch with our guy in China and find
> out...
> Did they know they changed tips?
> Can we order either one differently?
> How do we distinguish between them when ordering?

Is this an OLPC 10 watt panel we are talking about here? Or are you
talking about the plug on the iGo changing?  The dimensions of the OLPC
plug should not have changed.

Got some pictures?

> *_Terminal Charging Information
> _*Adam, can you send us the instructions to load the OLPC Terminal
> Charging Information that we used last time to check the solar panels?

Its called olpc-pwr-log and you run it from the terminal app.

I have some discussion on using olpc-pwr-log to take some measurements here:

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/power/2010-February/000017.html

More info about olpc-pwr-log and understanding the information it
provides can be found here:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_power_draw#olpc-pwr-log

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>