[Power] Haiti power questions

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Tue Dec 14 12:32:46 EST 2010

On 12/07/2010 03:08 PM, scott at solarnetone.org wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I concur that our previous discussion represents our maximum
> load in terms of XO's.  Are there other loads to account for, such as
> lighting, network server/access point, printer,etc?

That really depends on the site.  Some sort of server and access point
will be present in a large portion of them but not all.  If I were doing
a recipe I think I would tack those on as extras to a baseline setup.

>> What sort of logs do you have for the performance of the system  Do you
>> log things like PV output or Wh consumed on a periodic basis?
>
> Alas, I have not kept any hard data logs, mainly because that
> functionality was not built into the pwm charge controller.  With the
> advent of MPPT charge controllers, this would be pretty easy work.

Thanks.  When I review choices for charge controllers I'll make sure I
look for that sort of feature.

>> It would be interesting to compare a HOMER simulation against real world
>> data.
>>
> Indeed.  There are likely some minor optimizations that would result from
> that.

I'm thinking less about optimization and more about comparing the HOMER
simulation vs real world data.  HOMER simulations are often all I have
to go on for coming up with system requirements.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child