[OLPC-Peru] [Server-devel] GPRS connectivity

Yama Ploskonka yama en netoso.com
Vie Mayo 2 19:57:34 EDT 2008

Somebody might care to contact ANTEL in Uruguay.  They invested
humongous sums in this sort of thing, sums that later were questioned :-)

In the 1997 they hooked up to big fanfare every single one-room school
in the country with some sort of wall-mounted hardware that apparently
was cell-phone related.

With an Aussie donated 14.000 external modem, Escuela 19 de Arequita
connected to international educational projects at 2400 bps, including
having the names of the Arequitense kids sent in the CD that went with
the NASA Mars probe.  The one that crashed in Mars...  The next year the
school closed, went under 6 kids :-(
http://www.geocities.com/yamaplos/90.htm

Yama