[OLPC-Peru] [Server-devel] Collaboration between schools

info en olpc-peru.info info en olpc-peru.info
Vie Mayo 2 21:16:53 EDT 2008

_*Too much sugar on my "mate"
*_("mate" is a spanish word too, but in this case it is the name of a
typical drink in Argentina, Uruguay and some parts of Brazil.  It is the
coffee of the "gauchos".).

Once, when I was 14, I went with my high school fellows to help a poor
village in the sourroundings of Lima.  When we arrive we start to dig
and help people that was installing huge water concrete tubes.  In 2
hours our hands were damaged, bleeding in some cases.  I will never
forget that one of the local persons told us... "... hey kids... go back
to the city... thanks but no thanks... you are not usefull for this
work... and... by the way.. don't you have your own problems to solve?
:-[    why you came here without asking what we really need?... we thank
you but next time you speak to the locals... we can tell you how the
things need to be done...".  I will never forget those words.

I will take time this weekend to analyze (and prove) that this OLPC and
XO in Peru is under big risk due to the previous behavior that the
responsible people and organizations have shown in the last time.  I
will choose every word very carefully because I don´t want to damage the
opportunity for our children, but I think is time that the true (facts,
not opinions) come to the light.  Just to show you the tip of the iceberg:
a) Do you know  that the call for a bid, the presentation of the
proposals, the approval of the elected one, the presentation of the
additional budget in the congress, all has happen in an "abnormal" fast
trot ? O:-)
b) Do you know that all the "hidden" costs were not recognized as part
of the cost of the project?

Now, we can start to dig to find ALL the happenings and find the FACTS
that will show you that this OLPC and XO deployment in Peru is managed
according to terms of dominance, property, recognition, and not deeply
related to the "education for the poorest boys" in Peru.

I never speak "nonsense" words.  These are written words and I am old
enough to know that they will be kept in some place.  So I stand up and
I back up my words.  If I am in a error that will be an honest error and
it will be recognized in public with the due apologies to any involved
person or organization.

Just for the record:
* I am not a politician, I don't work for the government or any party.
* I earn my life doing consulting about trouts (nothing related to
education, trouts are big business here).
* I don't know any person that is related to any possible business
related to the computers in educative arena.
* I have work with peruvian goverments (my people) by more than 30
years. Not in this moment.  I have work with computers since 1979.

Now let's think: why Javier (me!) invest his scarce time writing about
the XOs and OLPC? Easy answer: because I need that THOSE KIDS in the
remote villages in my country doesn't get involved with terrorism
again.  My office was bombed in the famous "Tarata Attack" in year 1992,
I am alive because I married one week before and I was in honeymoon.  In
my country terrorism comes from poverty (not religious matters
involved), many terrorist on those years were taken (kidnapped) when
they were girls and boys just 10 years old.  Formed and trained in
militar way.  2 of those girls became adults and kidnapped 400 people in
the Japan Embassy.  All terrorist (including the 2 girls) were down.  I
don't want to live that again.  Not for me, not for my children or
future generations.

XOs and OLPC in my country can be done in perfect way IF you have a base
line, IF you have a clear target, IF you speak with locals that are
related to education without having personal economic or political
interest (not me, there are many peruvians that can be CONSULTED before
you advance more in what you, or any responsible person, think is right
or wrong).  When we shut our eyes (and ears) in front of what bad
politicians and bureaucrats do then we are doing damage to all the
peruvian kids (including ours).

I hope this put more "sense" on my "nonsense" words.  If not...
Martin... I will not send my "Mirages" again! (kidding!  :-) we will
send them all the time, Martin... all the time!)

Best regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru