[OLPC-Peru] [OLPC library] A proposal to give some DICTIONARY pre-installed on the XOs that will be delivered to Peruvian Kids

kalyan97 kalyan97 en gmail.com
Mar Mar 11 20:38:38 EDT 2008

Sorry for digressing on the subject of Dictionaries on OLPC and taking the
issue beyond Peru. I had earlier given a free licence to use, and submitted
my Indian Lexicon (for 25 languages) for inclusion in OLPC. A general
consensus may have to be arrived at on the availability of basic
lexical/language resources at various levels, from primary to secondary
school levels. Every prospective OLPC user is a child and will not be
restricted to children alone, particularly in, for example, the rural areas
of India with one billion population with a large percentage of illiteracy.
Best regards, Dr. S. kalyanaraman

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 5:02 AM, Samuel Klein <sj en laptop.org> wrote:

> 2008/3/11 info en olpc-peru.info <info en olpc-peru.info>:
>
> >  I agree: some "dynamic" database will be better than a "static"
> database.
> > It is not hard to build: just add a form and some "append/sort" routine
> > the main database.  Easy to say! (smile)... the "upgrade/add words"
> option
> > can not be done in plain javascript  (it goes against the idea that
> > javascript comes from the server and runs on the client machine in a
> typical
> > Internet connection... many security issues raise up!).  So... the
> > "add/upgrade" option or form needs to feed some "php" or java or phyton
> > or... any other language that can be installed on the XO (I don't know
> which
> > ones are installed in this moment... which languages come installed with
> the
> > XO? Phyton and... what else? )
>
> Effectively, just Python.
>
> >  Sharing new words: how the modifications of one user can be "shared"
> with
> > the rest of the "group" or the rest of the "neighborhood" ?  Possible
> > answers:
> >  * The school server will collect, organize and share the "additional
> words
> > & meanings".
>
> To keep a record of all dictionary changes made by each individual,
> you will need to do something on a machine or site with a fair bit of
> memory that intends to be up for a long time.
>
> XOs will probably want a way to merge a new dictionary with their
> existing one, from the mesh, a server, or another place; it has no
> reason to store lots of changes in memory.
>
> > So we will have "english word =
> > spanish word" or "english word = english meaning" ... and many other
> > combinations: common phrases... localisms... concepts... etc.
>
> Also picture dictionaries, working in both directions (word to image,
> or image to words in various languages).
>
> >  Othe names different than "words" ?
>
> Do you mean phrases?
>
> Cheers,
> SJ

http://malayindians.blogspot.com -- for all currents news on Malaysian
Indian controversy.

So long as the people do not care to exercise their freedom, those who wish
to tyrannise will do so; for tyrants are active and ardent, and will devote
themselves in the name of any number of gods, religious and otherwise, to
put shackles upon sleeping men. – Voltaire

When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and
love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time
they seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall - think of it,
ALWAYS. - Gandhi