[OLPC-Peru] [Server-devel] Extreme Linux Server Available to North America

info en olpc-peru.info info en olpc-peru.info
Mie Abr 30 16:45:22 EDT 2008

Hello John and all,

Using "Servers" and VSAT connections in Peru is not the best way to
reach the "most needed" children in my country.  I say this with the
most humble and full respect for your work and the work of all our
peruvian authorities.

I understand fully (more than that!) the problem that our president (Dr.
Alan García) has indicate: "... there are 85,000 cities in Peru.  80,000
of them are cities with less than 100 families.  It is impossible for
the government to reach those 80,000 small villages easily.  Those
80,000 villages are located over the 3,500 meters altitude" (it was said
just 2 days ago).  This explains why the Peruvian Government officials
are happy to send the XOs to the locations were there is energy
(electricity), VSATs (from the previous "Huascaran" project) and they
will look in their budgets to buy some servers.  We can not fix this (we
can not fix the mentality, the real scenery, all the people and facts
limitations).

But we can not preach to the chorus (the chorus is formed by those 5,000
cities with more than 100 families... they are part of the top of the
pyramid) .  We need to give tools and solutions that will help those
peruvian functionaries to send the XOs to some of those 80,000 forgotten
villages and not JUST to the other 5,000 (that is clear that they are
not in the bottom of the poverty pyramid).  Once we provide these tools
the functionaries, and our president, will be MORE THAN HAPPY to send
the XOs to those forgotten villages.

So we need to learn about 3 things:

*ENERGY*
How is the advance in providing some kind of autogenerated energy
(crank, weels, human or animal generated energy) ? (I know Richard is
the most interested in this issue, but I have not get further
information about many issues related to this "energy" aspect, we have
discuss solar panels and other options that seems not very useful for
our mountains... but I don't know what is the state of the things on
this moment.  Many pending answers in this area).

*SERVERS*
How usefull or practical is if the XOs behave without a separated
server? Is there some testing about that option? Will it be useful and
realistic?  Is this the first recommendation that the OLPC is doing to
the peruvian government or is the "you need to buy a server" the
preferred option that you recommend?

*INTERNET CONNECTION
*Is there some advance in relationship to developing a "sneaker net" (I
call it a "llama net"...) for those localities where there is not
Internet available or all the efforts of this first 40,000 computers
located in Peru are focused on villages that have "VSATS" ?  (If my
memory is not bad... in some moment Walter told that the OLPC project
will be more than happy if they hear about some kind of "off line"
connection for the XOs... something like the old UUCP method).

I ask your pardon if some of this questions are too hot to handle.  But
sooner or later we need to take the bull by the horns.  If not... the
project will not survive by itself and it will depend ALL the time on
the will of the government that will be in charge.

Thanks for your time and big efforts to help our country.  We know is a
valuable effort.  Let's convert it in a unforgettable journey.

Best regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru