[Peripherals] OLPC Multi-Battery Charger

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Thu Mar 26 12:22:24 EDT 2009

> Reply-to-all this email with responses to the questions below, a contact
> person and a shipping method (see note *[2]).

I'm not sure whether we are the ideal test site, but we'd be happy to do
some testing. We have a lot of dust so we could share our experience
about the unit's durability with respect to dust.

> Please answer the questions below with as much info as you have.  If you
> don't know answer to a question thats fine but the more information I
> can get the better to make the product as useful as possible.  Some of
> the questions may be better answered once you have had a chance to use a
> test unit.
>
> OLPC will have test unit(s) shipped to you for evaluation. In return you
> promise to provide prompt feedback information from your test site on
> how you use the device and how many you would be interested in purchasing.
>
> The info I need to know is:
>
> How many XO's do you have in your current deployment/pilot?

Currently 15 but planning to purchase another 10.

> Where is your deployment/pilot?

Holy Mother School
C/O Heera Pritikin
Nirmal Vihar, Canal Link Road
near Sant Kabir Nagar
Nashik-422005
India

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_India/Nashik

> What power source would you be using? AC or DC?

AC. We haven't invested in solar yet.

> What power source (AC or DC) do you see as most useful for your
> deployment/pilot?

Not sure. We definitely want to explore solar in the future.

> Would you purchase extra batteries for use with the MBC?

Yes, possibly.

> What time frame you would roll out MBC units.

As needed.

> How many MBC units do you think your deployment would need in the short
> and long term?

In the short term, probably only one.

Our school currently has about 100 students. If we can increase the
laptop ratio to 1:1 and the MBC seems like the best way to charge
batteries then we might need 3-4 units total.