[Peripherals] projector resolution

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Tue Jan 6 17:01:57 EST 2009

Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> Can anybody answer my question posted here?
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Adding_USB_SVGA
>
> I asked: "The projector ought to have what minimum resolution to display
> a decent approximation of the XO screen? Does 800x600 result in a blurry
> mess? Is 1024x768 enough?"

Depends on your scaling algorithm.  I've seen schemes that still look
pretty good after a downsample to 800x600.  A lot depends on the text
size and shape.  If you want to still have smaller size text thats
readable after the scale then you need a really sophisticated scaling
engine.

In pure grayscale the resolution of the XO is 1200x900 but in color mode
its "something less than that"  How much less a lot on how define what
the resolution means and what you are displaying.  The DCON retains the
full luminance information meaning that if you draw a single pixel line
in color mode you will see something its just a bit fuzzy.

However, all that magic is done in the DCON and maps onto our special
display.  If you have a usb video device you will be working with the
full 1200x900 RGB data and outputting to a display with a more
traditional pixel layout.  So your end result would be more like what
you would see when you scale the output from a traditional display device.

The short answer then is nobody knows. You will have runs some tests and
see.

If I were going to test this then I think I would run a VNC server on
the XO and then play with different settings on client and see how it looks.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child