[Peripherals] Charging the XO off a bicycle dynamo

Matt York myork at ompt.org
Sat Jan 3 13:31:20 EST 2009

Although auto alternators amy be somewhat abundant, they are not well
suited for human or animal "spinning".
Automotive alternators are design for high RPMs; at 2000-2500 RPM,
alternators are putting out about 60-70% of their capacity.
This forced the Cow Power test to get sidetracked into developing
excessive pulleys and belts.
Even if they had succeeded, the maintenance of the belts and pulleys
(over the useful life of the device) would be extremely burdensome.

If labor is cheap and the supplies are available, the rewinding of an
automotive alternator is a better use of resources.
http://www.mtmscientific.com/rewind.html

Also....
Stepper motors can be used as genertors requiring lower RPMs. Stepper
Motors have an advantage that they have multiple poles, allowing
generating useable electricity with low rotation speed, thus eliminating
the need for gears or belts when cranked by people or cows.
While stepper motors, when used as hand-cranked generators, require
multi-phase rectifiers, these rectifiers are far easier to make than gears.
http://www.c-realevents.demon.co.uk/steppers/stepmotor.htm

"Smart drive washing machine motors" can be converted into low RPM
generators.
http://www.ecoinnovation.co.nz/c-45-manuals.aspx

Enlightening the world with technology,
Matt York