[Peripherals] Alternative Power for Developing Countries

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at bolinux.org
Sun May 11 22:30:19 EDT 2008

Funny.  I did use one of those Singer machines for quite a while in
rural Uruguay, the 10 or so years before we finally got electricity.
Made camping tents with it, and whatever else we needed to sew.

Now, the real practical problem with Potenco was that XO batteries like
a trickle (slow) charge.  You need to be running the handheld charger
for 3 hours to do the job right.

Nobody will be running the sewing-machine, or the Potenco thing, or the
threadle for 3 hours.  Not rational to expect that.

So the best thing I see left is to set up something that provides more
power (say, 4-8 Ah), and that feeds a deep-charge (thick-plate) lead
battery, or a battery recuperated from a truck or so.  Then have kids
take turns.
Then they can share the output from the battery to achieve the slow
charge on their XOs.  Then sign them up for their country's national
soccer teams!  Those legs will be something.

I do not think a former sewing machine setup can output that much,
mostly because of ergonomics and the small size of our clients.  You
would need something where the leg power has better purchase.

A fit adult can output about 10 Ah, on a bicycle generator

Now, so far I might as well be talking nonsense.

I have never wanted to be a coffee-shop development expert, and I have
little appreciation for such.  While we did depend on a wind-powered
dynamo for our TV in the farm, which I would fix hanging from a rope, I
have never built this kind of bicycle thing.

Yet, like Javier has pointed out, we do need some alternative for the
Andes, where 4-5 months of the year it is common you will have a whole
week without enough sun to feed solar panels even a few minutes.  This
might be a problem elsewhere also (monsoon rain season?)

This website is amazing:

http://www.scienceshareware.com/DIY/BYO/U-gen/test-results-car-alternator-pedal-power-generator-diy-byo.htm

It makes me feel this can be done even by me.

However, right now I cannot invest in this, so I'll just go hide
somewhere until this gets sorted out one way or another.

I really thank you all for your deep concern for our issues in places
where power hasn't made it yet.

If it were my money I'm spending, I would say wind power has the best
chance.

Yamandu