[Peripherals] Alternitive Power for Developing Countries

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Fri May 9 23:47:22 EDT 2008

Hello Josh and all,

>Personally, I think the power requirements for the XO is too high for
children to charge them. Yes, I'm sure something can be created that
children could operate - but is this scalable and long term? Do we think
that children are going to want to do this everyday throughout their
entire education?

Getting enough energy for a standard laptop from the pedaling in a
bicycle is possible (check YouTube.com... there are many working
examples).  Even the most optimistic calculation or test that has been
done shows that is possible to do a fast pedaling for a short period of
time, then you are done and need some rest.  That is due that you are
moving the whole leg to produce the rotation.  And that kind of high
"torque" is needed because you are moving and object AND you are moving
a heavy weight (yourself).  Not just moving a rotor against a "perfect"
rolling surface (pulley and internal parts of the alternator).

Then you have the other side of the coin: with spinning wheels (that
have been used by centuries) you move JUST your foot (right or left) not
the whole leg.  People has been able to do this  hours and hours without
showing any sight of damage or getting tired in the effort  (I know this
from first hand because I have develop groups of spinners and knitters
in the high andes for projects developed in mining zones, all of them
using spinning wheels moved by the foot).

Our kids, peruvians, andean kids, are used to very hard working
conditions (most of them know very well how to wake up at 5:00 am and
push the sheep herd to the field, that coould be walking around 3 to 5
miles each day... then coming back to the house around 5 p.m.  They do
this when there is no school or when the school just work 1 week in the
month or when they have to walk more than 2 hours to go to the school
(everyday) or when the teacher is out in the bigger nearest village).
That happens in the towns and villages over the 3,500 meters altitude
(80,000 tows and villages with a total of 5 million people there), not
in the small villages located at 2,500 meters altitude (this are the
ones that you can reach easily and have schools and teachers and kids
that look at your eyes like very poor children but are the not the ones
that are in the worst conditions).  Any peruvian kid that lives in the
high andes, at 2,500 or at 3,500 meters altitude, will look at the
"pedaling" device in a spinning wheel like a toy, like at totally
integrated part of the "cost/benefit" system, and only the spoiled ones
will refuse to do it (there are "spoiled" children in any culture, time
and economic condition).

If that is too hard to accept (seeing as "children work" or any form of
"slavery") then we have to think that the ones that will use the
"spinning wheels" will be the teacher, fathers, bigger brothers that can
understand that they will benefit from generating its own energy and
that is depending on them and not in the force of the nature (wind, water).

>I think what is most important is to determine the sources of potential
energy in areas that need it, then design technology to utilize that.

 >Javier I think you have mentioned that both water, wind and sun are
too variable to design a cost effective system around. Can you think of
energy sources that are readily available in these areas that could be
utilized?

Some person have talk about energy from potatoes.  Yes, why not.  And
from corn and soy and many other vegetables too.  It is named as
"eco-oil" or "bio-oils"... but... there is huge controversy about how
much "conventional energy sources" are spend to produce this
"bio-oils".  Furthermore, there is huge movement against using what the
people eats in poor countries to produce "sustainable oils" for use in
the first world.  Example: in my country, Peru, the government has said
that the rise on the price of some food products is due to the rise of
the corn and soy in U.S. and Brazil.  I have talk about this too much
with my own government but without success (politic stuff is not always
related to the law of the economy and sometimes is due to personal
conditions in managing some issues).

Some kind of a more integral aproach could be used: generating energy
from the gas that comes from composting the rest of the agricultural
production and the lefts of the animals.  But that involves much more
money than getting, modifying, and installing some number of spinning
wheels.

>You don't happen to have an abundance of zinc ore in Peru do you?

Zinc? Sure.  Lots.  I don't have information about producing energy from
Zinc.  But... that is a work for a mining company, zinc is not in the
form of small rocks that you can pick up in the surface.  You need to
dig, melt, separate and refine.  Then you are a huge mining company.

Best regards and thanks for your interest in the issue.

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru