[Peripherals] Charging the XO off a bicycle dynamo

Holden Bonwit hbonwit04 at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 10:03:19 EDT 2008

Couple comments here:

1) Can I just mention how much more daunting it is to think about recharging a car battery with a little bike dynamo, than it is to charge the XO laptop battery that is just 6 little cells?  It makes me not want to pedal.

2) The less hardware the better.  This keeps cost and complexity down, both of which are important, in my opinion for this type of project.  Not having a battery was one of my soft requirements (the guys down at the shop already recommended this -- probably because it's the right answer), both for computer speakers to be powered (mp3 or walkman audio input, but cycle power) and for the XO charger.

3) Everyone's doubting that charging by cycle makes sense, but here's how I see it: The laptop (currently) consumes in the neighborhood of 6 Watts.  My bicycle
alternator puts out 6 Watts.  I think a 1:1 ratio is pretty good.  If we put 2 dynamos on that maybe goes to 2:1 and I'm even happier.  But I've got to think that someone would want a simple solution like this.  I'm living in a town of millions right now (Meerut, UP, India) and we lose power daily (12 hours or so).  Power is an issue, and with the growing population here in India, and additional consumption per-person average (cell phones, anyone?), it is only going to become a bigger issue.  The state is clearly behind on this, and so there are two options: private enterprise power solutions and personal / self-ingenuity solutions.  For the less wealthy, these personal solutions are going to become more appealing.  </rant>

Turns out the larger bicycle dynamo / alternator is not to be found, I'm considering it word-of-mouth vaporware.

I leave on Sunday and so I hope someone else can try the multiple-dynamo with multiple-rectifier setup that has been discussed.  In India, your local electronics shop should be able to make this for 100 or 200 Rupees.  I'll put some schematics on the wiki page.

-Holden

==
Holden Bonwit
hbonwit at alumni.nd.edu