[Peripherals] Alternitive Power for Developing Countries

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Mon May 5 21:35:52 EDT 2008

Caryl,

And now here it is how it could look in its "basic" design.  We need to
analyze if the RPM (revolutions by minute) are good enough to generate
electricity with the chosen alternator, we need to choose (or to build)
an alternator.  And we need to add a rectifier (if the alternator
doesn't come with one), a charge regulator, the battery (if there will
be a battery.. that is a whole issue) and other small electricity /
electronic components.  Not an easy task but it is very possible to do.
Caryl, if you want to develop a prototype we can discuss how to do it.
Just let me know (I have made many calculations but I have a daily
independent work so in this moment I can not put more time on this.
Furthermore, some parts are more easily available in the U.S.  Contact
me in private if you are interested and we can check costs for sending
you one of the spinning wheels that I have in the garage... IF you think
this device can be usefull to your own idea).  You will get all my
collaboration on this project.   We need to analyze costs of the
prototype and intended cost of the final device.  According to your
background (engineer? lawyer? :-D ...) and personal preferences
(hobbies, experience) you will see this as a crazy idea or as a possible
solution.

Other issue: llama, dunkey or goat powered? uhhmmm... dunkey: shure, a
normal task.  But small villages and poor families here don't have too
many available donkeys.... ah! there are a lot of wild horses in some
areas...  llamas? Less than 10% of the villages in Peru has some llamas
(but all have sheep... but I know sheeps and goats and they are not able
to do this task.  Any sheep or goat breeder can tell you that).

Best regards,

Javier