[OLPC_Boston] Every Person has a Story--meet child photographers in Haiti, Cambodia, Rwanda, DR

Holt holt at laptop.org
Sun Mar 6 16:41:46 EST 2011

/Please let me know if you're able to attend Apr 15 -- Ryan continues to
do a tremendous job giving out cameras to kids in Haiti (where I met
him) & beyond!
--Adam/

Subject: 	Lining up a very fun night
Date: 	Sun, 6 Mar 2011 15:19:55 -0600
From: 	ryan ansin <GRyanAnsin at EPHAS.org>

Hey everyone,

I hope life is going well back east. While Chicago is a great place and
I've been lucky enough to be traveling for EPHAS and miss most of the
bad weather, there's no place like home. Also, I get terribly lost in
this city because I do not have the Pru as a landmark to tell me where I
am at all times. Otherwise things are great.

I'm writing to you because you have all shown much appreciated interest
and support for EPHAS over its short lifetime and it is thanks to you
that we have experienced such great success already. We currently have
eleven locations throughout Cambodia, Rwanda, Haiti and the DR running
our workshops and are gaining exposure through galleries and other
displays around the country. We are beginning to hold exhibitions and
bar nights, the latter of which is where I hope you will come in.

As you can see on the attached invitation and on the one that you will
soon receive once I get the mailing all set up, we are looking to hold a
bar night at Dillon's on Boylston on April 15th and in order to make it
a huge success, I need your help. This is going to be a very low
pressure event--some raffles and images displayed but otherwise, just an
excuse to get together and tip some back in EPHAS' name. No tickets,
just a "suggested donation" for those willing and able. Where you come
in is I need help driving people to the event. Starting over a month
out, if you get the information out to all of your friends, colleagues
and family members, I think that we could have quite a crowd on our hands.

Being a new organization, it does take a few attempts and reminders to
get people out in support so whatever I can do to help facilitate
bringing your respective groups into it, I am all ears. Most of our
invites/rsvp will be electronic but if you think that physical
invitations will help get certain peoples' attention then let me know
and I will send them to you. Phone calls, emails, brochures,
one-sheets...we have it all ready to be deployed! If you can get me
peoples' emails directly then I can get them excited as well and make
less work for you.

Not to over complicate things but for people who you think would be
interested in EPHAS but not up for a bar night, we are having a brunch
on Sunday the 17th in Cambridge for some new donors and people who are
interested in getting more involved.

This is all to say, simply, I would so so so much appreciate if you
could get this out to your networks and help make this night a success.
It will often take more than a single mention of the event or our
organization, but not much more. If you go with the tag line, "They
implement photography workshops in schools, orphanages and medical
facilities all over the world to allow participants to document their
own lives instead of relying on the the general media to do an
incomplete job of it," people usually want to hear more.

Thank you all so much for your interest and support thus far--we really
could not be where we are without each of you. I look forward to hearing
from you and grabbing some drinks when I'm back in the Boston area for a
solid chunk of time in April for these events, school appearances and more.

--
G. Ryan Ansin
Executive Director

EPHAS.org