[OLPC_Boston] Talk at Harvard on Tech and Development

Nicholas Doiron ndoiron at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Aug 10 20:15:35 EDT 2011

Hi!  I'll probably watch the webcast of this, but this is for all of you
in Cambridge:

------
"Indigenous technology design and its challenges"

Presented by: Christopher Hoadley, Educational Communications and
Technology program at New York University

Time: Tuesday, September 13, 12:30 pm

Place: Berkman Center, 23 Everett Street, second floor

RSVP: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/luncheon/2011/09/hoadley

on problems in developing economies, such as Google People Finder, One
Laptop Per Child, etc., fewer efforts involve local participants or
settings in the design process. I share some of our work on collaboration
with youth, NGOs, and technologists in India, Nepal, and Bhutan, and
highlight some of the challenges in trying to create indigenous design
capacity in places like these. I explore an ecological metaphor of
'invasive and non-invasive species' for different types of technology in
new settings, with an eye towards discussing what makes a technology
'invasive' and how healthy technological ecosystems might be developed."
--------

Regards,
Nick Doiron