[OLPC_Boston] FYI: Recent changes at OLPC

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Thu Jan 8 15:28:08 EST 2009

Short answer: It doesn't.

Less short answer: The local grassroots deployments were deliberately made
independent of OLPC-the-organization, and of anyone's employment status
therein; software development still continues (and can be picked up by
volunteers as well - yay open-source!) and last I heard, the CFS deployment
was doing better than ever - though perhaps someone on the loop team
(they're on this list) or on the visiting deployment team (cc'd, since
they're non-local and may not be) can chime in here and update on what's
going on.

Somewhere in between answer: If one of the goals was to make deployments
here truly independent and community-run, I see this as a *massive* plus.

--Mel

PS: My own employment with OLPC will end tomorrow, like many others -
however, I've been a volunteer for over 2 years now and have no intention of
stopping that. ;-)