[OLPC_Boston] Printer help needed!

MacKenzie Sigalos msigalos at fas.harvard.edu
Sun Dec 13 11:56:37 EST 2009

Dear Boston,

Hello Laptop Hello World (formerly One For All) is running a pilot with the
4th grade students at the Cambridge Friends School. We've been having some
issues with printing, and despite having sent out our tech team, we're still
in need of assistance!

The students created projects on the XO and they are trying to figure out
how to establish a wireless connection to print them. We showed them how to
save "Write" documents as txt files that they can open with Word. The
package that they needed to read the .odt files (what "Write" files are
usually saved as) on the Mac was not on their computers and not compatible
with their OS version.

We couldn't get the printer working directly with the XO.  They have an HP
Photosmart C4500.  According to openprinting.org it should work perfectly
with Linux.  We installed CUPS on two XOs, but we couldn't get the drivers
working.  Kyoko, their Tech Director, mentioned that she had tried using a
shared printer through the Mac that they have, but it didn't work.  She also
mentioned that the school was willing to buy a new printer if it was easy to
set up.

If you have any advice or feedback, we would greatly appreciate your
suggestions. The 4th grade teachers are at a standstill until we can figure
this out!

Thanks so much,
Katelyn and MacKenzie

--