[OLPC_Boston] Curriculum Team goals

Sandra Lam Sandra.Lam at students.olin.edu
Tue Oct 28 11:25:35 EDT 2008

Hello!
As the Boston-area volunteers XO Curriculum Team, our efforts are focused on creating fun and educational lesson plans for teachers that would like to integrate what they are teaching in class with the use of an XO.  There are two ways this will be done.  The first is a general curriculum module creation where we develop curricula that incorporates the XO with the material from different subjects and can be used for many different grades.  We use programs that the XO already has and design a generic lesson plan that accompanies it.  These lesson plans will free to anyone who wishes to use them and will be posted on the wiki.  The other type of service we offer is classroom observation.  This will consists of a 1 hour, on-campus consultation meeting with the teacher and or group members that would like to use our services.  We will aid them in creating lessons plans that will incorporate the XO into the material they teach.  New activities with the XO can even be created and if this is desired, we will produce the technical specifications for the activities so that the loop team for the deployment can find programmers to create them.  For anyone who would like this service, we will have to be notified at least a week in advanced so that we may schedule when it would be best for our team meet with those that would like us to design their curriculum.  This will also be free for those who would like it.
The Olin team that makes up the Curriculum Team is highly qualified for this job and many of us have experience teaching.  Some of us have even taken a course at Olin that required us to teach some aspects of electricity and magnetism to middle school-ers through a creative activity.  We are also very friendly and would love to talk to anyone who wants to talk to us.
We would love for others to join our team!  It would help if we could get people with teaching experience, such as retired/volunteer teachers, educational grad students, or educational professors.  We could also use more programmers that would like to design XO activities for us, but really, anyone who is friendly and would like to help others will fit nicely on our team.  If you have any concerns/questions/suggestions, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks!
Sandra Lam