[OLPC_Boston] becoming a olpc school

Diane Serley olpc.aunti.mame at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 09:35:26 EDT 2008

Rene,

Normally I'd suggest talking with a local XO User Group to get started, but
I don't know of one in central or northern Maine. So here's the good news
and the bad news...

The good news: the official OLPC FAQ page has this note: *"A number of U.S.
states and cities have approached OLPC and expressed interest in the
program. It is up to the relevant officials of a government entity or
organization to contact us by emailing countries at laptop.org to start a
dialogue."*

The bad news: OLPC usually deals with much larger organizations. Note that
the email address is *countries@*, not *myschool@*.

Having said that, there are small, school-based pilots happening. If your
needs are very small (e.g., 1-room schoolhouse with few students), you might
try to get a local social (Elks, Shriners, etc.) or business (Chamber of
Commerce, Rotary, etc) organization to partner with the school and purchase
XOs through the up-coming "Give One, Get One" program. If your needs are
larger, I'd recommend the countries@ contact.

As an added bonus, there are employees of OLPC who are on this list and they
might contact you. (hint, hint, nudge, nudge) The organization is currently
in a big crunch to get an operating system update released, so you may not
hear from anyone immediatley.

Diane Serley

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 9:09 PM, Stephen Albison <smalbison at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am an educator in a very rural, very poor community in Maine. How do I
> find out about getting OLPC in my school?
>
> Any information would help.
>
> Rene Albison
> ralbison at augustaschools.org

Diane Serley