[OLPC_Boston] June 2008 meet-up notes

Diane Serley olpc.aunti.mame at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 09:11:48 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

Despite the torrential rain and hail a few folks attended the monthly
meet-up last night @ Cosi. Congrats to Tom, Michelle, Melissa, and Ed for
braving the weather!

Using borrowed 703 XOs from OLPC Tom, Michelle and Melissa tested GCompris
for bugs. GCompris is a suite of activites for young children that was
originally created for Linux. It has been ported to teh XO, but has lots of
bugs. T, M and M spent the evening playing the various games and finding
what worked and what didn't. All three had fun and Tom reported that despite
the bugs GCompris was well designed, with good graphics and sounds.
Francesca Slade (OLPC summer intern) was very happy to see the written notes
about the bugs found so she could pass the info on to OLPC programmers.

Ed and Diane spent some time talking about possibilities for a local school
pilot. Diane knowns that a teahcer at Cambridge Friend's School has
expressed intrest, and Ed mentioned that he spoke with a friend who works at
Harvard who is interested in creating a "sister school" pilot between a
school in east Cambridge (with many Brazilian immagrant kids) and one in Sao
Paulo, Brazil (where the friend's wife has contacts). Interesting things are
happening!

Ed also invited a freind to stop by and we all spent some time showing him
(Dave?) the features of the XO.

Sorry that the weather seemed to keep folks away, but we had a fiun time and
hope to see more poeple next month!

Diane