[OLPC_Boston] howdy

Mike H jrghoull at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 18:09:46 EDT 2008

 Our meet-up have been more about playtime than anything else... but I took
notes at the very first meetup  (who was there, tips & tricks, etc) and
found myself as the "go-to" person after that. LOL!

Cosi's address is: 290 Main St, Cambridge, MA 02142

my work with ebooks has been slow going as I got caught up in other OLPC
volunteer stuff... but I recently started in again. I'm trying to create
notes on exactly what page size & how to easily format to convert from
Project Gutenberg texts into a PDF that is tweaked especailly for the
XO...... thanks for asking!

are you interested in anything in particular? We have members of the local
group who have worked on StarChart (a great activity if you ahven't tried it
before!) and GPS and lots of other stuff.

Diane

it seems like a good idea to be putting the ideas together! i have learned
some tricks here and there but can never seem to remember them. to put the
best little lessons learned together and (possibly) post em on the forums
would be pretty cool. since i take obscene amounts of notes in class (doesnt
everyone try and write down everything ver baitum that the teacher says?
:-P) and would love to have a cheat sheet with the answers to quesions that
come up...maybe i'll write down a note or two :-)

thats really cool what you're doing with the format of pages...its more
important than people might realize. i have a word to pdf converter, and one
time when i wanted to convert a book in text to pdf i used my software.  the
way the program worked though ...it screwed up the format of the book and
make it impossible to read.

i have heard of the starchart program! wow, i cant believe how many olpc
forum celebrities are a part of our group. I personally have a big interest
(and alot of ideas) in making sugar more useable...both to children in the
3rd world, and grownups in the us of a. unfortunately my "l33t computer
skillz" are limited to html right now...so i'm basically looking for
suggestions (such as which books and maybe even where to go to take a class)
for learning things like python and java.

oh 2 and questions if you dont mind...1. why do you guys meet every tuesdays
as opposed to weekends and 2. is the way that i am responding to the e mails
okay?

oh and thanks for giving me the address btw...i will be coming via T and
will be finding the restaraunt via google earth (i heart google earth)