[OLPC_Boston] Volunteer opportunities this week?

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Tue Dec 16 21:43:57 EST 2008

Hi Chris,

the XS has a mailing list - server-devel, be sure to join it before you
start installing the XS.  Also on #sugar people are working on it.

Birmingham and Chester PA are working on setting theirs up now also so you
will not be alone.

The development team also needs help with packaging activities for Fedora
and other Linux installs.

When Walter and I met with the GPA all the teachers in Boston have an apple
laptop. We decided that they should probably use Sugar in emulation mode on
their laptops, where it would feel pretty much like another program.  What
is the plan for the CFS teachers? Will they use a XO or emulation on their
existing laptops?

Caroline

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 9:23 PM, Christopher Vance <
christopher.vance at gmail.com> wrote:

> Folks, and Katelyn specifically,
>
> At the OLPC Boston meetup tonight, it was suggested that CFS needed to
> both procure XO School Server hardware and install the necessary
> software on the server.  I would be interested in handling the install
> part of this, but am a bit concerned about my limited Linux install
> experience.  I am fairly comfortable at the command line, but I don't
> live/breathe Linux.
>
> On the OLPC wiki, I found the following information:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/School_server (lots of links, including the
> below information)
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Recommended_Hardware
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Installing_Software
>
> The CFS page (
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Cambridge_Friends_School_Pilot#School_server)
> suggests maybe just have a repository for backup, and I thought I
> heard mention of installing Moodle for educational content.
>
> Can someone please inform me/OLPC Boston what the current plan is
> w/r/t school server/infrastructure, if I can get involved, and next
> steps?
>
> Thanks,
> -Chris Vance
>
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Christopher Vance
> <christopher.vance at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I needed to use of some vacation time before the end of the year, so I
> > have the next week off.  Aside from Wednesday morning and the next
> > several evenings, I'm generally free.  Is there anything I can do for
> > CFS or other OLPC volunteer work (testing/etc) in the next several
> > days?
> >
> > Let me know via email.  I'll be at the COSI meetup tonight as well.
> >
> > -Chris

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com