[OLPC_Boston] Notes from XO/Sugar impact study convo

edhs at bu.edu edhs at bu.edu
Wed Dec 10 17:30:27 EST 2008

hello there Greg,
Wonderful information and indeed the key idea here is to learn from
other venues and also to find ways to document the voice of the
learners which is my hope.
edhs

Quoting Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com>:

> Hi Guys,
>
> FYI here are some links to other studies that have been done. You may
> find them useful in designing yours.
>
> - Thesis by former MIT student, current OLPC employee covering a 1 to 1
> deployment (pre-XO) in Costa Rica:
> http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/41706?show=full
>
> - Study of a pilot in NYC by people at Columbia University:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Academic_papers#Evaluation_of_the_Teaching_Matters_One_Laptop_Per_Child_.28XO.29_Pilot_at_Kappa_I_V
>
> - Study by University of Minnesota of XO deployment in Nepal:
> http://blog.olenepal.org/index.php/archives/321
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg S
>
>> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 03:09:27 -0500
>> From: Mel Chua <mel at melchua.com>
>> Subject: Re: [OLPC_Boston] Notes from XO/Sugar impact study convo
>> To: edhs at bu.edu, olpc_boston at lists.laptop.org
>> Cc: John Tierney <jtis4stx at hotmail.com>
>>
>> John Tierney (calling in remotely), Evangeline Harris Stefanakis,
>> and myself had a great conversation on Monday, and I'm posting the
>> notes from our conversation with permission. (There are some details
>> that can't be public yet, but should be pretty soonish.)
>>
>> Enjoy, comment, and feedback is welcome as always. ;) Note that I
>> haven't done my action items in the notes yet, I hope to get to them
>> tomorrow night (I'm pretty hosed right now) but pinging me on things
>> that might concern you is totally welcomed.
>>
>> -Mel
>>
>> ----
>>
>> Problem: We don't know how well we're doing helping kids learn; we
>> need to measure the impact of our work.
>> Proposal: Evangeline and her students will do a study  of the impact
>> of XOs/Sugar on local Boston-area pilots.
>>
>> This is particularly timely in terms of looking for funding because
>> the new administration is actively looking for alternative methods
>> of assessing student learning (says Evangeline).
>>
>> Priorities of pilot/study, in order
>>
>> 1. Provide a good educational experience for the children
>> participating in the pilot
>> 2. Serve the teachers, administrators, and volunteers (including
>> parents and Sugar developers) facilitating the pilot by giving them
>> feedback on the project's ongoing impact on the children
>> 3. Be a good learning experience for the graduate students assisting
>> with the study
>> 4. Disseminate good, solid results on the impact of XOs/Sugar to a
>> wider (national, if not global) audience.
>>
>> Funding for the study will be needed due to institutional
>> requirements. This can be viewed as a plus, as funded research will
>> give both the study and the thing-being-studied (grassroots
>> deployments, XOs, and Sugar) further legitimacy.
>>
>> Concerns on demographics: CFS is not the target demographic that we
>> want to reach eventually (there is a much greater need in low-income
>> public schools, for instance). Mel explained that given the
>> resources situation when the "we should do a local pilot"
> [...]

Evangeline Harris Stefanakis, Ed.D.
Associate Professor in Administration, Training, and Policy
Boston University, School of Education
Two Sherborn St.
Boston, MA 02115
email: edhs at bu.edu